systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sat May 29 19:00:56 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> I need to change firewalls rules and routing rules in the middle of the
>> init scripts, because I have a multihomed internet connection and remote
>> filesystems and I need the firewall closed and then opened in a way which
>> is dependent on the IP I got from the ISP
> Ugh! Are you sure there's no better solution?!

Kevin, this is not an exactly real scenario, but I wanted to say that
sometimes it is useful to *hack* something in the middle of the init
script for some reason.

I know that no "sleep 5" should be there to wait for the firmware
of the ADSL modem and so on... what I'm trying to say is that in some
cases you need to do something dirty to work around a bug or to
confirm a bug. For example, I had really bad luck with the rt2500 driver
having weird crashes with the ordering and relative timing of
"modprobe", "ifconfig up", "iwconfig". Understanding what the hell
was happening during boot (and only during boot) made me add
strange hacks into the scripts so to be able to describe the bug.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it