systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon May 31 23:04:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26.05.10 14:08, Jon Masters (jonathan at jonmasters.org) wrote:

> > I couldn't agree more. They need to be scripts, considering how seldom
> > they actually run it makes even less sense to chase down optimization in
> > them by making them compiled.
>
> I *very* strongly agree also. I do change init scripts, but even more
> than this, I see a growing trend for Linux systems to be less friendly
> to user modification. We are not so smart that we should do this.

Well, we won't take anything away from you:

if we add an option to systemd itself, for something that was previously
done manually in the init script, then this is just that: an option you
can configure as much as you want, simply by editing the .service file.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net