The new Update Acceptance Criteria are broken (was: Re: Heads Up - New Firefox update)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 1 18:23:17 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On the other hand, other scenarios were also brought up, which have not
> come to pass - for instance, the same thing happening to Fedora 13 or
> Fedora 14.

Nonsense. We just do not have enough evidence yet to show such things
happening for F13 and F14. They CAN, and IMHO WILL, happen, e.g.:
* Will a critical security fix for Konqueror get karma as quickly as the one
for Firefox did? (This is especially relevant considering that some people
want to put the whole KDE workspace into critpath. But even non-critpath
updates need karma to get pushed.)
* Would that Firefox update have gotten karma that quickly without the
nagmail to the devel ML? Do you think the approach of sending nagmail
scales?

And at least for F14 development, there have been other, less critical
failures, which I've already pointed out in the respective threads.

> If we had simply accepted the predictions of doom and not implemented the
> policy at all, we would be without its benefits for the development of F13
> and F14.

What benefits? I see only problems, in fact the very ones I've warned about
right from the beginning.

        Kevin Kofler