Changes in Java packaging guidelines - RFC

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Nov 3 19:32:25 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 November 2010, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 19:27 +0200, Ville Skyttä a écrit :
> > 3) In my opinion, the whole alternatives setup in the JRE and SDK
> > packages should be purged.  It's a relic from times that are long gone,
>
> Having a semi-sane way to install multi-vendor multi-version JVMs is
> still needed EPEL side. Expensive apps like SAP still make you install
> the specific JVM they've been qualified against.

But such JVMs do not need to be made the system default at all, people can
just run $expensive_app with it by whatever means they like (e.g. direct
modification of $PATH, $JAVA_HOME, etc _for that specific app_).

Providing an easy way for admins to alter the system default JVM to something
which will break expectations of software _we_ ship (in Fedora or EPEL) just
doesn't make sense to me.