Changes in Java packaging guidelines - RFC

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Nov 3 22:05:51 UTC 2010

Le mercredi 03 novembre 2010 à 14:35 -0700, Jesse Keating a écrit :
> On 11/3/10 2:14 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > And it's unreasonable to expect those ISVs to change when Fedora has not
> > managed to package a working JBoss. If the Red Hat Java packaging can
> > not even be used with the top Red Hat Java product, what is there to
> > say? (and on this subject, I don't think Fedora Java can be dissociated
> > from Red Hat java)
>
> JBoss isn't in Fedora because JBoss seems to require lots of things that
> are older than what we ship in Fedora.  I see this is a problem with
> JBoss, not Fedora.

Sure a large part of the blame is JBoss-side. However, my point was
that's it's really hard to define good packaging guidelines, when you
have no complex application to test them on.

And the other big Java apps have even more problems than JBoss (I
intentionnaly exclude developper tools like Eclipse or maven, the
compromises needed for a developper station are very different from
those needed for a server. A developper will accept all sorts of crap
just to have access to the latest shiny toys)

--
Nicolas Mailhot