bugzilla bugzappers?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 03:23:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>>> Does it compare to this number? (it takes a while to open)
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/39yr832
>>
>> Not hard to run the numbers. There've been 31,603 bugs reported to
>> Bugzilla by abrt. There are 2,216 bugs reported by abrt that have been
>> closed as CURRENTRELEASE, RAWHIDE, ERRATA or NEXTRELEASE (which are the
>> resolutions that usually imply 'it got fixed'). I think a tool that's
>> resulted in 2,216 fixes for crasher bugs is pretty cool. :)
>>

> I am pretty sure a subset of these closed bugs are "mass-closing" of
> bugs when a maintainer updates the software. Sometimes, when you
> forward the report upstream, they don't understand the output either,
> and say "it may be fixed, just update and try". You update the
> software, put it to testing, and ask the user if it is fixed for him.
> The user doesn't respond as usual. Then you mark it as fixed without
> really knowing what's going on. Then you have such statistics. YAY!

I randomly picked 20 bug reports out of those 2,216 that were closed
CURRENTRELEASE, RAWHIDE, ERRATA or NEXTRELEASE.

1 had the software patched, and updated (Good fix)
2 had some sort of discussion (1-2 messages) before the maintainer
updates the software and marks it fixed
17 had no conversation at all. The maintainer just updates the
software to the next version.

Of course some of these might be real fixes. I didn't look deeply into it.

However, believing that these bugs are "fixed" thanks to the ABRT
reports sounds to me like wishful thinking.

Orcan