Changes in Java packaging guidelines - RFC

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Nov 4 07:47:47 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 November 2010, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:

> There is no sane way to make javadoc crosslink in a sane way, i.e. without
> patching builds. That's why I would say let's postpone this until we can
> tell packagers HOWTO do it.

I'm not against postponing as long as it's not forgotten completely.  Yes, in
most cases it involves patching, but the patches are often quite simple.  For
example for ant based builds, make the crosslinked javadoc URLs properties
that default to public upstream javadoc URLs and use them in javadoc tasks;
then when building the package, override the properties in the specfile to
point to the local javadocs.  In my experience upstreams have been very
receptive to these kinds of patches.