bugzilla bugzappers?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:10:31 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 01:21 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2010, 13:28 +0100 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
>> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 21:41:22 +0100, Bert wrote:
>>> So can someone please explain my why I should continue to try to
>>> improve Fedora by reporting bugs ?
>> Glad you ask this. The bugzapping script is stupid. It asks the reporter
>> for NEEDINFO when in fact it ought to ask WTF has the packager not
>> responded since Fedora 12?
> + 100!

Agreed

If the maintainer is not responding to reports or not acting as the link
to upstream ( that if he's not upstream himself ) for the component he's
responsable for in Fedora I ask you this why are those components in
bugzilla in the first place?

If we want to fix things we need to fix things at the root level and we
dont do that by blaming tools like abrt and the root level here are
those non responsive maintainers.

We can try to find the root cause why they are unresponsive and try to
address that or we can seperate non responsive maintainers from the
responsive ones and remove those components from bugzilla and at the
same time we can work with those responsive maintainers and the
community with improving things on both maintainers/reporters sides.

In the end not responding to bugs does nothing more than to waste
community resource ( reporters QA in general ) and hurts the project
reputation since often bugs do not get fixed resulting in the novise end
user(s) experience the same bug being horrible if we are lucky we have
other application with similar function packed and ready for the novice
end user if we are unlucky we loose him cursing Fedora being to broken
to use with all the glory that comes with that.

JBG