bugzilla bugzappers?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:57:18 UTC 2010

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 04:10:31PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> If the maintainer is not responding to reports or not acting as the link
>> to upstream ( that if he's not upstream himself ) for the component he's
>> responsable for in Fedora I ask you this why are those components in
>> bugzilla in the first place?
> The reason is that bugzilla can still be used for Fedora-specific
> packaging bugs for these components.

Fail to see the reasoning here.

If the maintainer is not responding in the first place....

> I agree however that the Fedora packager should at least respond to
> bugs, even if only to say "sorry, that's way out of my league, I'm
> only handling packaging, have a look at this upstream bugtracker".

Our view on this differes from my perspective I considere it one of
packager responsability/duty to be the liasion between Fedora
users/reporters and upstream ( from user perspective Fedora is upstream
) after all he's the one that introduced that component and signed up to
maintain it in Fedora in the first place.

So using you example from above, from my perspective it is this

"Sorry, that's way out of my league, I'm only handling packaging.
I have contacted and filed this bug upstream for you <insert link to
upstream bug here >.

please keep track on it encase upstream needs some further details from
you.

When this bug has been fixed and that fix has found it's way to Fedora I
will make notify of that on this report so you can test if that bug fix
has fixed the problem you experienced.

Thank you for your report".

I agree with you that atleast some communication is better then none.

JBG