bugzilla bugzappers?

Dr Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 17:51:29 UTC 2010

On 07:41 Thu 04 Nov     , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> snip...
>
> As a maintainer, abrt to me primarily means "wading through wakes of
> hardly readable emails", mostly to scan them for useful information. I
> many cases I ended up with closing BZ, because these emails did not
> contain sufficient info.
>
> That said, as a maintainer, abrt to me only has introduced a higher
> noise/signal ratio in bugreports as before.

This is the problem we have with java-1.6.0-openjdk, except it's magnified
by the fact that the user could be running *ANYTHING* on the JVM.  So if
some native code in a Java application crashes the JVM, we get an abrt
bug report for it.

The information provided is pretty much always useless for diagnosing the
issue.  The attached crash report is pretty incomprehensible for the JVM.
Including the hs_err_<pid>.log generated by the JVM would at least be
a start in making it easier to see what the failure was.  But the main problem
is that there is pretty much no way of reproducing most of these crashes
and the user often has no clue what happened.

We're getting lots of these, on a daily basis, which means that proper
bug reports (i.e. ones filed by users who actually took the time to
file a bug report with some useful information) are getting swamped by
these abrt reports and our valuable time is being wasted.

Please turn these off for this package until such a time as the default
abrt report is actually useful for some form of diagnosis, which means
it at least has an hs_err file and mandatory reproducer information.