bugzilla bugzappers?

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 19:34:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 17:51 +0000, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> On 07:41 Thu 04 Nov     , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > snip...
> >
> > As a maintainer, abrt to me primarily means "wading through wakes of
> > hardly readable emails", mostly to scan them for useful information. I
> > many cases I ended up with closing BZ, because these emails did not
> > contain sufficient info.
> >
> > That said, as a maintainer, abrt to me only has introduced a higher
> > noise/signal ratio in bugreports as before.
> >

> This is the problem we have with java-1.6.0-openjdk, except it's magnified
> by the fact that the user could be running *ANYTHING* on the JVM.  So if
> some native code in a Java application crashes the JVM, we get an abrt
> bug report for it.
>
> The information provided is pretty much always useless for diagnosing the
> issue.  The attached crash report is pretty incomprehensible for the JVM.
> Including the hs_err_<pid>.log generated by the JVM would at least be
> a start in making it easier to see what the failure was.  But the main problem
> is that there is pretty much no way of reproducing most of these crashes
> and the user often has no clue what happened.

Could some of this by alleviated by teaching gdb a bit more about the
insides of the JVM? (e.g. how to prettyprint JVM objects and stack
frames?)

Doing the equivalent for CPython has been a huge improvement for the
analogous situation:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EasierPythonDebugging

Hope this is helpful
Dave