bugzilla bugzappers?

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 23:04:11 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 11:22 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:

>>> I am very happy that the current scheme works well for you. You think
>>> that we should ignore the outstanding 93% of the ABRT bug reports, and
>>> the 6000 untouched bugs that will be closed in a month. If we don't do
>>> anything that 6000 will multiply at the end of the F-13 cycle.
>>>
>>> The current scheme did not fit the majority of maintainers.This is
>>> obvious. The numbers just prove it. Moreover, it drives users away
>>> from reporting bugs and drives at least 1 maintainer away from
>>> maintaining certain packages.
>>>
>>> Instead of saying "no need to discuss, it works for me", let us try to
>>> improve this process. Going in circular arguments will not help us.
>>>
>>> Orcan
>>
>> Obviously we *need* to discuss, but just complaining won't help anything
>> - if you think ABRT is not providing a good info for you packages, then
>> please write me an email how to improve it (which data you'd like to see
>> for specific packages) and we can sure do something about that and
>> disable it in a meanwhile to relieve you from those useless bug reports.
>>

> Sure, here are the things that I need.
>
> 1- For my packages, I don't want any ABRT bug reports without the
> "Steps to reproduce" information. ABRT should tell the user the field
> is missing and it won't send a bug report until the user fills it.
> Some maintainers say they don't need the  "Steps to reproduce", but I
> need it.

- ok, but there is a problem as ABRT doesn't have the logic to ask for
steps to reproduce just for some packages, so the easiest would be to
ask for it for every package - but even then I think you will end up
with a lot of bugs with "Don't know" as steps to reproduce.. btw, one of
our RFEs is to let user attach a screencast of how to reproduce a bug...

> 2-  ABRT should keep track of unresponsive users. If a user has an
> outstanding "needinfo?" flag for the bugs sent through ABRT, he
> shouldn't be able to send a new bug report through ABRT for my
> packages.

- interesting idea, but this is hardly doable just on the client side
and would require a server side support

> 3- Ability to turn off ABRT for certain packages. Whenever I provide
> an application package with no nonstandard patches and there is a
> crash, it is most definitely not my fault. The user should be
> instructed to take the backtrace upstream to the URL of the package
> and report it in their bug tracker/mailing list. Even better, ABRT can
> file the bug directly upstream. I am willing to provide the
> information of upstream bug trackers/mailing lists for all of my
> packages.

- this is tricky one - even without patches, the application may be
crashing because of some library we use in Fedora and it's really hard
to say if the library is causing that or the program itself so that's
where we the maintainers step in and decide before reporting to
upstream... other problem is that every bug tracker would require a
specific reporter plugin which usually takes a few weeks to write and
test ...

So to sum it up, the fastest solution I can provide for you is to
blacklist your packages and/or ask for at least some text in steps to
reproduce.

Jirka