bugzilla bugzappers?

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 14:27:53 UTC 2010

Frank Murphy said the following on 11/05/2010 12:47 AM Pacific Time:
> On 05/11/10 07:27, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:
>
>> So what if I got 100 bug reports and didn't answered 10 bugs you will want to
>> orphan my package?
>> Welcome to the world without gtk, openjdk, eclipse-platform, kdelibs ....
>
> I think maybe  it is meant more as "You have 100 bugs, 80 are not
> acknowledged.
>

>> I can't see why can't we just admit - This is our best feel free to join us
>> and help ?? (someone should find better wording)
>
> Is this not where added manpower can help?
> At least a group who can be put together (existing?),
> to look at reproducing\unable to bugs, to help the maintainers.

We've been trying to do that and get it off the ground for several
years.  It hasn't exactly flourished.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a package maintainer, but I have been involved with
bug triage and was around the original effort to get Fedora bugzilla
under control.

I've always believed our core need is more maintainers if the goal is
*fixing* and *resolving* bugs. Triage and debugging help only goes so far.

It took several posts to devel-announce, personal emails, and weekly
meetings during the roll up to Alpha, Beta, and Final, just to get
information and help with ~20 blocker bugs.  Addressing ~12,000 other
open bugs will require something different.

John