bugzilla bugzappers?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 5 16:41:06 UTC 2010

Orcan Ogetbil, Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:02:02 -0400:
> Maybe it is time to discuss the usefulness of ABRT to Fedora. I think
> that it is a great idea for commercial products such as RHEL, but it
> obviously did not fit Fedora as is.
>
> From what I have seen, the maintainers are more responsive to manually
> filed bugs than to ABRT filed bugs (Am I wrong?). Apparently the current
> setup is driving users (such as the person in the above email) away who
> are otherwise willing to report bugs. This is not good.

Have you ever tried to explain to reporter that he need to reproduce the
crash (which he has no idea how to do in the first place), then generate
the backtrace using gdb? I did, many times, and I think ABRT is a great
idea. Except for those duplicates ....

I believe that abrt's ability to find duplicates got much better lately,
so it might be possible we will get another avalanche of closing ABRT
bugs when F13 will go out EOS, but I believe it got much better in F14.

Best,

Matěj

The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is a constant, but nowadays
the illiterates can read.
    -- Alberto Moravia