Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Sat Nov 6 00:36:43 UTC 2010

>>> What's the implication for people who absolutely need to use
>>> X applications remotely?
>>
>> Use VNC. (Or your similar protocol of choice.)
>
> That's not a serious alternative.

 From what I've read so far you can run rootless X as a Wayland client so
you can just use your remote X apps like you did in the past next to native
Wayland apps. Also if there is a real interest in this feature then this
could be implemented for Wayland it would just not be part of the core.

On the net I read that Ubuntu wants to "ditch X" in favor of Wayland but
that's not what I read in Marks post. As I understand it the plan is to
introduce Wayland but not get rid of X for years to come. Sounds like a
reasonable plan if it can be implemented in a technically feasible way.

Regards,
   Dennis