Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Nov 6 10:57:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:20:08AM +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > If I wanted to step back to the pre-net era, I'd run Windows.
>
> I wonder if there will be someone saying (when all the apps are native
> Wayland apps) "If I wanted to step back to the pre-stetic* era, I'd
> run X"
>
> I get the impression that comparing current Fedora and Linux in
> general running on varied hardware to the latest Windows and MacOS
> examples reveals a lack of slickness that is easy for Linux fans to
> make excuses for. I frequently see low frame rates, tearing and high
> CPU usage (and put up with them). But it shows that current X based
> desktops are hitting a barrier that there isn't sufficient development
> effort to overcome. I have a rough idea of the hoops that software has
> to jump through to provide a smooth scrolling browser window (for
> example). Something that improves this can only be good for the
> desktop.
>
> I don't think that there is a realistic threat that GUI based tools
> etc will ever need tight media integration or be balkanised so that
> they are not usable over the net. And I don't think it's a valid
> reason to shun technologies that might bring the desktop experience up
> to modern standards.

Is Fedora for developers or what?

We want to ditch extremely useful, ground-breaking features because of
"tearing" when scrolling in a browser window? [I do *not* see any of
those issues incidentally -- maybe you want to check your set-up and
make sure you're not using non-free drivers]

You have no evidence anyway that this tearing and high CPU load that
you are seeing is caused by network transparency.

It's pretty unlikely since X messages are passed from application to
server using shared memory in the local case, and how exactly did you
expect the app to communicate with a Wayland server except using the
precise same mechanisms?  There are only a limited number of ways that
two processes on a Unix machine can talk to each other.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html