Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Sat Nov 6 11:51:37 UTC 2010

> Is Fedora for developers or what?

If it is exclusively for developers with the exclusion of general
purpose features such as web browsing, photo management, and
multimedia consumption then I'll have to find a more general purpose
OS. I count myself as a developer but concede that I have a life too
and a general purpose computer has to fit into that as a whole.

> We want to ditch extremely useful, ground-breaking features because of
> "tearing" when scrolling in a browser window? [I do *not* see any of
> those issues incidentally -- maybe you want to check your set-up and
> make sure you're not using non-free drivers]

Historically there have been plenty of problems like the Firefox
smooth scrolling under compiz bugs (at the time I understood the bugs
to be caused by the difficulties of providing compiz features within
the framework of X, I could be wrong). I last noticed tearing in
fullscreen video on radeon HW... on other hardware I use the nvidia
driver as it's generally better performing than the free one, really
there is no argument here regarding free drivers as a platform for a
multimedia desktop. As much as I love Nouveau's freeness, last time I
checked I couldn't even run gnome shell on it.

> You have no evidence anyway that this tearing and high CPU load that
> you are seeing is caused by network transparency.

No, but I can guess that something in the architecture as a whole is
causing it to underperform, exploring an alternative might provide
that evidence. I don't want to throw X away per se, but I would like
comparable performance to other OSs.

> It's pretty unlikely since X messages are passed from application to
> server using shared memory in the local case, and how exactly did you
> expect the app to communicate with a Wayland server except using the
> precise same mechanisms?  There are only a limited number of ways that
> two processes on a Unix machine can talk to each other.

I can hope that an architecture with the lofty aims of "every frame
perfect" would make a more usable desktop. It looks like the
alternative is to stick with X and see other OSs lead the way in
slickness.

Maybe I'm biased because I overwhelmingly tend to use a command line
for remote machines. What is the use case for remote X applications?
The only thing I can think of that I've personally used this way is
gparted, and I probably could have used fdisk without much effort.

-Cam