Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Nov 6 14:07:04 UTC 2010

Le samedi 06 novembre 2010 à 10:57 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones a écrit :

> Is Fedora for developers or what?
>
> We want to ditch extremely useful, ground-breaking features because of
> "tearing" when scrolling in a browser window?

Well it would be mightily nice to have an infrastructure that can handle
keyboard extended keys (almost every new keyboard sold in the last
decade has one or more of those) without barfing because the original
x11 protocol designers thought 8 bits would be enough for everyone.

The ground breaking parts can come afterwards. Input on X is so bad this
is becoming ridiculous (another example being X has no notion of
language, just layouts, so there's no way for apps to know the language
being typed and auto-select the correct spellchecker)

--
Nicolas Mailhot