Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Pierre Carrier pierre at gcarrier.fr
Sat Nov 6 15:14:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 13:51, Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
>> With virtualization I have more Linux machines than ever (about 50 in
>> active use at last count).  All on my local 1GB network.  Consequently
>> I use X to them and to other physical machines _all the time_.
> If there is no way to provide remote access for Weyland based systems
> (and I hope there will be a way that is "more than adequate") then I
> can see the day when desktop users wanting a high quality experience
> and server users part company...

Am I the only one would wants to scream SPICE since the beginning of
this discussion?

We could have a virtualization-free userspace SPICE server and I
believe that could be an excellent replacement to VNC, with
significantly better performance and features (stuff like sound,
anyone?).

Richard, you're even specifying virtualization! SPICE is already here!

rootless remote apps, ie Wayland network clients, that's a need I can
understand. But with my near-to-zero knowledge about Wayland, I don't
see why we couldn't do that.

--
Pierre Carrier