Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 16:25:33 UTC 2010

Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Ben Boeckel <mathstuf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
>>> [..] As much as I love Nouveau's freeness, last time I
>>> checked I couldn't even run gnome shell on it.
>>
>> I was doing that back in November[1].
>>
>> --Ben
>>
>> [1]http://blipper.dev.benboeckel.net/one-soap-box/2009/11/03/gnome-day-2-gnome-shell/
>
> You mention gnome shell but not nouveau,

Ah. true. Once nouveau came out, I pretty much dropped nvidia at that
point since I'm not much of a "gamer" anymore (transparency in KWin was
about the most taxing thing I used around that time).

> how do you enable the missing 3d support for Nouveau?

It came with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental. I remember playing Neverball
with full acceleration during the F13 Beta on nouveau (though Kobo
Deluxe was not). My nvidia machine has since been shipped back home to
be the main laptop there (the 256MB XP laptop wasn't cutting it anymore
and I've been bad about updating the desktop which is still on F10 yet).

> And does it only work for a subset of hardware?

It was a Quadro NVS 140M.

> I'd be interested to try it. Lately I just get:
>
> Accelerated 3D graphics is not available
> Desktop effects require hardware 3D support.

Don't know. Maybe Shell needs more things since then? The experimental
driver package may also be missing.

> I have switched between nvidia and nouveau in testing F14, I prefer
> gnome shell but using it can lead to fragility (eg. install nvidia,
> configure gnome shell, update;  temporarily disabling nvidia -> broken
> desktop)

Switching between the two has always been an absolute nightmare. If I
need to go nvidia -> nouveau, a reinstall was the easiest and most
reliable way to nuke the blob driver.

--Ben