Fedora - Cold Boot Attack

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sun Nov 7 17:11:00 UTC 2010

On 10-11-06 07:36 PM, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have read some articles about the Cold Boot Attacks and I am
> wondering  whether my Fedora box is protected against such kinds of
> attack, at least to some extent.
>
> I work like an Embedded SW/HW Developer and my experience is that data
> could remain in the dynamic memory for quite long time, even in the room
> temperature. I have used it successfully for debugging, when a booting
> routine after the cold reset copies some parts of memory to another
> location which could be read lately.
>
> It would be usefull to overwrite some parts of memory (keys etc.),
> before the computer is switched off. So, my question is: Is there
> already implemented and used some kind of protection?
>
> Vaclav M.

It's a bit of a tangent, but I think Xen's dom0 kernel does this on
boot. If so, perhaps it's code can be adapted? I think it would be a
nice (optional?) feature, to be honest. Of course, this doesn't help if
power is suddenly cut, but combined with encrypted storage, it would
help remove another vector.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com