Fedora - Cold Boot Attack

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sun Nov 7 17:44:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 00:36:58 +0100, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
> I have read some articles about the Cold Boot Attacks and I am
> wondering  whether my Fedora box is protected against such kinds of
> attack, at least to some extent.

If you have physical access to the box there is no security left.  Attacked
can install there a trojan to catch+store boot password, install backdoor into
the booted kernel, use SMM (System Management Hook) etc.  Attacker can also
solder in a sniffer of memory accesses.  Other variants also exist.

Regards,
Jan