bugzilla bugzappers?

Benjamín Valero Espinosa benjavalero at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:43:18 UTC 2010

2010/11/6 Till Maas

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 12:23:00PM +0200, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:
>
> > Why does everyone want to put more and more burden on maintainers and
> arguing
> > about small things that users should do?
> > How can you expect a maintainer to fix/respond to hundreds of bugs and
> not
> > expect the user to verify his/her bug still applies?

I am an example of a user who sometimes send a report through ABRT but
rarely replies in it, because I have no idea how to reproduce it. For
example, if "randomly" (from my user point of view) Firefox or Empathy
crashes, I suppose that the debug trace is enough for the author to see the
problem. Unfortunately, if the maintainer asks me for more info, I will
hardly be able to give it, because for me the crashes are random.

Sometimes I can guess a possible way of reproducing the bug, and then I add
it as a comment in ABRT, but this is very strange.

So please, don't blame users for not replying bugs, because most of them
will think that pushing the button (and waiting for all the debug packages
to download) are enough work for them. Besides, most of them perhaps even
don't speak English.

Sometimes I try to help finding duplicates, and I find bugs not detected
automatically by ABRT because, although the trace is almost identical, the
bug title is not, because the version of the package has changed a little.
Perhaps this could be improved.

Sorry for the noise.