Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Nov 9 15:23:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 16:09 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 10:05 AM, Jon Masters wrote:

> >> And what happens when all the apps are native Wayland apps and
> >> none of those can be run remotely?
> >>
> >> If I wanted to step back to the pre-net era, I'd run Windows.
> >
> > +1 for bringing these points up. No offense to krh (because it's nice
> > technology) but you can pull my genuine networked applications from my
> > cold dead hands. I agree that I see this ongoing trend to move toward
> > things that are fluffy and pretty at the cost of flexibility.
>
> Looks more like a case of crying wolf to me. It's probably going to take a
> year before Wayland can be turned on as the default desktop and it's
> probably going to take several years before X can possibly go away so to
> use this kind of hyperbole is really just flamebait.

> It's fine to bring your concerns up but please postpone this "we are all
> going to die" routine until we *actually* have something to complain about.

At which point, it's too late. Unless Server-y people point out that
things like network apps actually matter, the default path may be to do
what will look nice on a local desktop (for the record, I can see full
screen tearing-free graphics both using upstream Intel and upstream ATI
drivers - one on a laptop, one dual headed desktop - just fine already).

Like Rich, I enjoy being able to start e.g. rawhide apps running on a
virtual machine and have them render to my local X server, or start a
second X and have an entire gnome-session running from a rawhide "box"
sitting on my virt server. Also, although there are other ways to do it,
my typical use of virt-manager these days is by forwarded X over ssh.

Jon.