Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:44:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/9/10 8:23 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> I've seen the responses on the Wayland list, and it's always "Wayland
>> isn't intended to do that."  So, there's no point raising objections
>> there.
>>
>> The risk is that Wayland gets developed and a bunch of key
>> applications in Fedora get broken.  The Wayland guys are not the
>> people to talk to, since network transparency isn't on their radar,
>> from what I can see.
>
> What makes you think that carping about it here will have any effect,
> particularly because NOBODY HAS PROPOSED WE USE WAYLAND yet.

I think we'd like to see the Fedora community figure out its position
on the subject— so that it can tell the Wayland developers "If you
continue on this track, then as things stand, Fedora will not be
making it a part of the default Fedora install".

If that is indeed the position of the Fedora community then it would
carry a lot more weight in someone's planning than individual people
whining on the wayland list.