Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 9 17:37:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 17:25 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:23:22AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> > At which point, it's too late. Unless Server-y people
>
> I object strongly to this perception that nobody involved in developing
> desktop technologies has any idea what server admins want. What we're
> seeing is the development of technologies that bear little resemblance
> to the Unix way of doing things, but which will in many cases make life
> better for server admins. systemd is a wonderful example, and Wayland
> has the potential to be used in such a way that it will work much better
> for what you want than X currently does.

I can agree with that.

I'd like for something in return - could the folks working on desktop
technologies acknowledge that those of us who are more server-oriented
have an idea of what users want?

B/c the perception I get is that only the desktop-oriented folks know
what users want or need and the server-oriented folks do not.

I think that's in error, too.

-sv