Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 17:40:46 UTC 2010

On 11/09/2010 05:13 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 11:44 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> I think we'd like to see the Fedora community figure out its position
>> on the subject— so that it can tell the Wayland developers "If you
>> continue on this track, then as things stand, Fedora will not be
>> making it a part of the default Fedora install".
>
> Well, the Fedora graphics cabal is basically me, Kevin Martin, and Dave
> Airlie, and since we were hanging out at Plumbers last week and talked
> about this, here's the rough consensus I think we reached:
>
> Wayland's not a usable default yet.  It'll probably be packaged in F15
> as something you can play with.  We don't even have a complete list of
> transition criteria yet, let alone a timeframe for switching the
> default.  But it's likely to happen eventually because it's a serious
> win for a lot of things, and the downsides are pretty negligible despite
> the fear from the peanut gallery.

I'm wondering of I'm reading this correctly.  The downsides that have
been described are quite severe in contrast to the possible benefits.
It is, of course, possible that a mistake has been made, and the acute
loss of functionality is just scaremongering.  It's also possible that
I've misunderstood something.

Andrew.