Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 9 18:42:42 UTC 2010

> Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) said:
> > > B/c the perception I get is that only the desktop-oriented folks know
> > > what users want or need and the server-oriented folks do not.
> > > I think that's in error, too.
> >
> > In fact, us server-oriented folks are often blessed with working directly
> > with actual users every day.
>
> Right, but that just leads to informing people that what users desparately
> need is a beating.

Or it leads to the development of an expertise or an intuition about the
complaints and issues a user actually runs into or about how the systems
are actually being used.

For example - talking to my former co-workers at a .edu I've determined
that a LARGE number of users are no longer using local mail tools at
all. They've transitioned exclusively to using gmail for all their
accounts.

The younger users in particular are expecting access to their
information from all their devices independently - which gmail provides.

-sv