Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 18:47:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> wayland...when they feel its ready. By introducing it for discussion
> before they were ready to engage in that discussion you've actually
> made it more difficult for the discussion to move forward as you've
> taken away their best shot to me a good first impression with the
> tech.

I have been watching this growing thread with some bewilderment - is
it possible for someone who knows by direct experience how Wayland has
been moving, but who is also a Fedora developer, to give a more
detailed description of where the project has been heading in terms of
both what it *may* be able to provide in functionality beyond the
discussion in this thread, as well as how it is envisaged it may yet
satisfy the needs of the critics concerning the loss of essential
functionality - I guess that if the project is still being defined
then it is important to understand its potential for the future, and
not just what has been planned at this point in time?

Jeff makes a good point here - it sounds like this is still nascent at
a level where *we* don't really know the extent of its capabilities,
but has the potential to be developed in directions that have not yet
been clarified in the developer's minds - and a considered discussion
between the experts could say what its limitations might be? However
there must be many unknowns and until the development gets to the
stage where some code can be tested as part of a rawhide level system
then it is perfectly possible that the developers could make the
system work in a way that the critics are currently implying cannot
happen - or am I being naive?

--
mike c