Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 19:24:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 02:14:32PM -0500, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 14:05 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:44:19PM -0500, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > >
> > > And where does that sit in the architecture?
> > >
> > > Looking over the architecture page (2nd figure) it looks like the only
> > > way to get the kind of network transparency that X has under Wayland is
> > > to put the network between the Wayland client and Wayland Compositor.
> > > Which would mean that the passing of events has to be networkable from
> > > the start.  If its put on top it ends up being the VNC model of doing
> > > things and that sucks in a big way.
> > >

> > Basically you'd run an alternate compositor in your ssh session that
> > would read out the buffers, compress them, and send them over the
> > network instead of compositing them into a larger buffer and scanning
> > them out.
> >
> > --CJD
>
> That's an interesting solution.  If I logged into a remote machine would
> I have to run a separate compositor for every application or one per
> remote connection?  I suppose the compositor could be started
> automatically if the wayland libraries looked for an env setting (the
> same way X looks for DISPLAY).

When you did ssh --wayland, the remote ssh session daemon would start
that special compositor and inject its address into the environment so
things you launched under that session would use it. Then your ssh
client would start a proxy wayland client to recieve the compressed
buffers and create windows on your local wayland compositor.

Best part is, if you composited the buffers beforehand and then sent the
result as a giant window, you get VNC functionality, so you only need
one protocol for both.

--CJD