Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 21:00:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 08:53:36AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> well, I imagine you know more about this than me, but I run with
> Japanese input support at least occasionally, and my impression is that
> a lot of it is a fragile tower necessitated by the fact that the deep
> underlying stuff was coded with the assumption that all anyone ever
> wanted to type was ASCII. It feels to me like CJK input breaks a lot
> more than it really *should*, if you step back and look at it from first
> principles - it's just an input method, and we'd feel pretty dumb if we
> shipped a release where you can't type the letter Q, yet this sort of
> thing seems to happen all the time with non-en_US input. From a QA
> perspective, I know keyboard layout selection and complex character
> input is one of the things that breaks so often we had to stick an
> explicit validation test in for it. I don't know how much of this is
> related to X specifically, but I know it's certainly one of the things
> involved which makes the whole process of providing switchable input
> methods so icky.

I've yet to reliably compose a Japanese email through my non-Red Hat
email address, but that's going over gnome-terminal -> ssh -> Debian
-> mutt, and to be honest absolutely anything could be the problem
there.  I wouldn't blame X for that one ...  It generally works for
gtk2 apps.  The actual implementation of the input mode switching is
pretty horrible, but I sort of assume that's the usual open-source-
developers-can't-do UI issue.

Rich.