Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 21:33:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> No. I'm sorry but it's fundamentaly unfair to hold me responsible for the
> behaviour of others. If you think this shouldn't have been brought up fine
> but if others decide to draw premature conclusions from this it's their
> fault and not mine.

Am I holding you responsible for others? No.  I'm saying very
specifically that you started a topic about inclusion instead of
simply inquiring as to whether people in our community are already
involved.   The inquiry would have been perfectly appropriate. A
suggestion we talk about inclusion when we don't have a clearly
defined technical expert to make the case for it is not. We have a
featuring process for some very good reasons. One of those reasons is
to allow the person make the propose to provide adequate amount of
information as a starting point for a constructive discussion about
technical pros and cons.

That's like me suggesting we have a discussion about moving over to
the hurd kernel as a default when I know absolutely nothing about
kernel implementation details and watching concerns over the issue
spiral out of control.

I am saying very specifically that noone should propose a discussion
for technology inclusion on this list unless they feel comfortable
addressing questions of a technical nature about the technology or
failing that they bring someone along at the start of the conversation
who is able to be the technical expert when the quite expected
questions about technical issues come up.  The discussion spirals when
questions go unanswered by a technical expert and the void in the
discussion is instead filled up with meatheads like myself.

> As for the "the developers will come forward when it's done" you apparently
> seem to know know about the behind the scenes connections between Wayland
> and Fedora than others. I was aware of the initial anouncement of Wayland
> when the project was started at long time ago and wouldn't have dreamed of
> bringing it up precisely because it would have been premature.  However now
> Ubuntu is apparently going to introduce its influence so I thought it to be
> fair to make Fedora aware of the project.

You yourself have stated as part of this discussion that its still as
a long way to go as a technology. Appearently you came to that
conclusion later in the discussion. It appears that Shuttleworth's
sincere enthusiasm for what is achievable with Wayland has mislead you
into thinking the project is futher along than it is. Just to save
yourself some heartbreak down the road, assuming a technology that
Shuttleworth is personally excited about is not what I would call due
diligence in gaining enough of an understanding of the subject matter
to competently lead a discussion on the topic.

-jef