Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Nov 9 22:14:40 UTC 2010

Lennart Poettering píše v Út 09. 11. 2010 v 23:07 +0100:
> I think you aren't even aware how broken this "mix and match" network
> approach of classic X11 is. The semantics of D-Bus and other IPCs in a
> distributed X11 session has never been clearly defined, and all kinds of
> integration between apps mostly just vanishes if you do this, or will
> behave weirdly.
Well, isn't that mostly the fault of D-Bus, GConf and other relatively
recent inventions that they decided to ignore this use case of running
desktop applications?  In the far past, IPC mechanisms somehow managed
to cooperate with X (e.g. ICCCM, XSettings) - admittedly with
lower-level functionality.

(The decision to ignore remote applications may have been correct -
that's beside the point: You really can't blame X for things D-Bus/GConf
didn't do; and the fundamental semantic problem of "should this setting
refer to the machine this process runs or to the machine it is
displayed" does not ever go away simply by changing the remote
communication protocol.)
Mirek