nouveau & gnome-shell (was: Re: Ubuntu moving towards Wayland)

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 14:03:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:22:02PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 21:05 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > I'm using the experimental 3d now with gnome shell. After a few days,
> > it seems like it performs OK although it locks up for a few seconds
> > now and then. It seems to recover and I can't see any obvious log
> > messages around the time of the freeze. It does survive
> > suspend/resume, which is great. My impression is that it runs slightly
> > hotter than the nvidia driver but I could be imagining this (I don't
> > have any figures).
>
> You're probably not. nouveau basically has no power management at
> present (it's under heavy development upstream, but I don't think ben's
> pulled any of it downstream yet).

Does it support multiple monitor configurations? IOW, when I go to work
I dock and use two external monitors. When I'm home I use either my
laptop display or, when I'm in my home office, I attach a video dongle
to connect to a widescreen monitor.

Right now I use the nVidia config tool to select my monitor config on
the fly and change to that. What would I use with the mesa driver?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/