Fedora - Cold Boot Attack

Vaclav Mocek little.owl at email.cz
Fri Nov 12 01:12:05 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 07:55 PM, Roman Rakus wrote:
>    On 11/08/2010 03:12 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> Here is the attack:  Your system is running with nice secure encrypted
>> drives, no console access (or a locked screen on a laptop). The
>> attacker inserts a bootable USB key and hits the power switch. System
>> reboots into the USB key, it retrieves the cryptographic keys for
>> reading your disk from memory, then copies whatever information it
>> likes.
>>
> Only if the laptop is configured to boot from the USB. But I know,
> everything here is theoretical.
>
> RR

Yes, it's theoretical; I only wanted to know if there is a protection of
any kind already implemented.

I did a test and if i use an electric screwdriver I can get access to
the laptop memory in eight seconds.

The next step would be a freezer spray, -50C and less, removing of DIMMs
from the laptop and reading them.

I don't know how you, but when I am about to leave my workplace, I click
on the button "Shut Down" and bye, bye, my computer, walking out of the
room.

Vaclav M.