Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 12 02:05:31 UTC 2010

----- "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le samedi 06 novembre 2010 à 10:57 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones a écrit :
>
> > Is Fedora for developers or what?
> >
> > We want to ditch extremely useful, ground-breaking features because
> of
> > "tearing" when scrolling in a browser window?
>
> Well it would be mightily nice to have an infrastructure that can
> handle
> keyboard extended keys (almost every new keyboard sold in the last
> decade has one or more of those) without barfing because the original
> x11 protocol designers thought 8 bits would be enough for everyone.
>
> The ground breaking parts can come afterwards. Input on X is so bad
> this
> is becoming ridiculous (another example being X has no notion of
> language, just layouts, so there's no way for apps to know the
> language
> being typed and auto-select the correct spellchecker)

Well, actually input methods can do that. :-)
They know exactly what language you are typing, and some do basic
spelling check in the language they support.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer

Register now for Red Hat Virtual Experience, December 9.
Enterprise Linux, virtualization, cloud, and more.
http://www.redhat.com/virtualexperience