Fedora - Cold Boot Attack

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Fri Nov 12 03:22:32 UTC 2010

> It would be usefull to overwrite some parts of memory (keys etc.),
> before the computer is switched off. So, my question is: Is there
> already implemented and used some kind of protection?

Boot "Memory test" from install media (DVD, LiveCD, LiveUSB, etc.)
and let it run for a minute.

Or, install memtest86+, boot that using GRUB, and run for a minute.

Or, boot your own "kernel" that writes 0xFF, 0xa5, 0x5a, 0x00
successively to each byte, taking care to not get screwed by
the data cache.  Takes 10 seconds.

Or, plan ahead, then just wait.  Not worth the wait?  Not worth much!