Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Josef Bacik josef at toxicpanda.com
Fri Nov 12 17:09:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM,  <clumens at redhat.com> wrote:
>> We have been spending a lot of time and thought trying to scheme
>> about how to accelerate btrfs. At this point, it is actually fairly
>> stable but still missing key things (most notably a fsck that can
>> fix the file system!).
>>
>> Last week at plumbers, we did get a large chunk of the btrfs
>> developers together for a few hours and have been working to make
>> sure that we have sufficient people working to get this done...
>
> This is good information, and makes me feel even better about removing
> the need for a btrfs command line option.
>
> What I mean about "we're not quite there yet" is that I don't really
> want to change over to it as the default in anaconda until we (1) have a
> release or two with it as a non-hidden option to get some feedback, and
> (2) know what our strategy with it in a greater sense is.  If it's going
> to allow us to do all sorts of crazy new things, I'd like to enable the
> crazy new things at the same time as we switch it in as the default.

Agreed, my plan was to take away the option for F15 (I sent the
anaconda patch already right?) and leave it as an optional thing for
at least 2 releases until we even begin to discuss setting it as
default.

Another criteria I have for making it default is I want grub support,
specifically grub2.  So until grub2 is in Fedora and we have btrfs
patches upstream in grub2 I have no intention of making it the default
in Fedora.  Thanks,

Josef