Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 19:13:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Fedora 14 was a pretty relaxing and stable release. I'm thinking that
> Fedora 15 may be much more exciting. ;)
>
> Things I know of so far:
>
> * systemd
> * gnome3 / gnome-shell default
> * removing a bunch of suid stuff in favor of capabilities
> * xfce 4.8 (with any luck).
>
> Things that are out there, but no idea if anyone is working on them or
> if they might be ready by f15:
>
> * grub2 (no one is driving for this that I know of, but has some
>  advantages over our grub1 if someone is willing to run with it, although
>  it may be a lot of work to get it to where we need it).
>
> * btrfs (Is this ready to be default? :) If so, would that warrant a
>  change in our lvm by default setup?
>
> * Can we finally remove hal? (xfce4.8 shouldn't need it anymore with
>  any luck).
>
> * Will NM finally be able to do bridging?
>
> * Some kind of packaged wayland to play with, even if it doesn't do
>  much?
>
> Any other exciting work in progress that might land in F15 that people
> are actively working on?

I just wrote a blog post somewhat relating to this which some of you
good folks may have already seen on planet.fp.o, but I'll advertise it
here briefly anyhow:

http://wordshack.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/clouds-and-jobs-and-fudcons-oh-my/

The short version: the Cloud SIG is planning on having a bunch of
goodies, including BoxGrinder, OpenStack, CloudFS, Sheepdog, and
(HOPEFULLY) Deltacloud submitted as features for F15.  Most of them
are already in the works.  Links / info about those projects are in
the aforementioned blog post link.

But I happen to think that having more of a set of building blocks for
cloud applications and management in Fedora is VERY, very exciting. :)

-Robyn