The new Update Acceptance Criteria are broken

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 12 19:46:36 UTC 2010

> It's absolutely crystal clear to me that we don't have enough tester
> manpower to make the current policy workable; it's past time to stop
> denying that.  I'd suggest narrowing the policy to a small number of
> critical packages, for which there might be some hope of it actually
> working as designed.

BTW, another point worth noting is that there is not actually a specific
rule against +1ing your own updates. It's 'frowned upon', I guess, but
actually I think it's probably workable to say it's fine for the
developer to +1 their own update in Bodhi: *as long as you actually have
tested it*. For non-critpath updates especially. The Bodhi system is
essentially an honor system anyway. So how I'd see this working is if it
becomes clear that some maintainer is gaming the system by just +1ing
everything they submit, even if it actually turns out to be broken, we
look at saying they can't +1 their own updates any more. But if you
actually are conscientiously testing your own updates, that's probably
worth a +1 in Bodhi, for me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey