Updates to static library packages

Siddhesh Poyarekar spoyarek at redhat.com
Sat Nov 13 19:26:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

I maintain LibRaw, which is only a static library -- upstream has
rejected the idea of maintaining dynamic libs since they would have to
take care of ABI compatibility across releases.

I wanted to know if there are any other only-static libraries out
there and how they maintainers manage releases. I had packaged this to
build Shotwell 0.6.x but I understand there are a couple of other apps
too that build against this now. Do i have to keep track of all of
them and coordinate releases with them, i.e. announce an update, have
them test and then push a build? Or do I just go ahead and build in
rawhide and then wait for someone to complain?

Thanks,
Siddhesh