Updates to static library packages

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 13 23:38:50 UTC 2010

Hi Siddhesh,

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:56:47 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:

> I wanted to know if there are any other only-static libraries out there
> and how they maintainers manage releases. I had packaged this to build
> Shotwell 0.6.x but I understand there are a couple of other apps too
> that build against this now. Do i have to keep track of all of them and
> coordinate releases with them, i.e. announce an update, have them test
> and then push a build? Or do I just go ahead and build in rawhide and
> then wait for someone to complain?
I maintain llvm, which *used* to be static-only. The guideline:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
PackagingGuidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries

does not discuss update policies, but luckily for LLVM they update on a
predictable schedule, once a year, and the dependent packages normally
are quite good at keeping track.

I'd say do try a rebuild of affected packages yourself, and notify the
maintainers only in case there is a breakage and coordinate on what to do
(otherwise they'd get an unpleasant FTBFS report).

I just noticed, actually, that shotwell incorrectly depends on LibRaw-
devel rather than LibRaw-static. Fixing it now :P

Incidentally, does anyone know how to keep track of which package lists
something as a *build* requirement? repoquery has --whatrequires and
--tree-whatrequires, and has an --srpm option that seems promising, but
does not seem to do the trick.

Best Regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim