Fedora 15, new and exciting plans (biosdevname)

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Sun Nov 14 06:11:11 UTC 2010

On 11/13/2010 06:34 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=128892593821639&w=2

In that message I see:
    ** No rename for all others "ethX" (no change for NICs in PCI slots/USB/others)

I'd like an option to assign "ethX" to NICs in  /sys/devices/pci*  order.
This matches chassis PCI slot order on many, many motherboards.
I get confused when ethX is assigned in a different order.

You can bind ethX to a specific card [not slot] by using HWADDR= in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.  That's fine, but I prefer
an option to assign ethX by PCI slot, because that's what I can see when
I plug in the cables.  My NICs are various brands and models,
but I treat them all as generic because that is much simpler,
especially in the beginning.