Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 14 13:34:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:54:02 +0000, Pierre Carrier wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 18:01, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>> I despair of making *nix input people understand that LANGAGE ≠ INPUT
>> Please stop trying to derive one from the other, they are *distinct*
>> and one can (and often does) use a non-english layout to type English.
>> It's about as smart as trying to find German people in Europe by
>> searching for Volkswagen cars. Sometimes it will be right, most often
>> it will be terribly wrong.
>
> Yes, and it has nothing to do with system-wide or even session-wide
> settings IMHO.
>
> I'm a French guy living in GB.
> I type on French AZERTY or UK QWERTY hardware layouts, occasionally
> German QWERTZ.
> My software layout layout is always QWERTY US. I mostly use the

Same here. I'm an English-speaker working in Germany, and find it much
more convenient to keep my keyboard in US international layout with AltGr
dead keys, using the dead keys for entering Umlauts when necessary.

The German layout is *horrible* for programming. We have locale for
describing language, punctuation marks, etc.; it should have no
correlation with keyboard layout.

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/