Fedora 15, new and exciting plans (biosdevname)

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Nov 14 13:53:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:11:11PM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 06:34 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> > to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> > "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=128892593821639&w=2
>
> In that message I see:
>     ** No rename for all others "ethX" (no change for NICs in PCI slots/USB/others)
>
> I'd like an option to assign "ethX" to NICs in  /sys/devices/pci*  order.
> This matches chassis PCI slot order on many, many motherboards.
> I get confused when ethX is assigned in a different order.
>
> You can bind ethX to a specific card [not slot] by using HWADDR= in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.  That's fine, but I prefer
> an option to assign ethX by PCI slot, because that's what I can see when
> I plug in the cables.  My NICs are various brands and models,
> but I treat them all as generic because that is much simpler,
> especially in the beginning.

For you, biosdevname has alternate naming policies.  You'll edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/71-netdevice.rules, changing --policy=loms to
--policy={something else}, with various choices available:

[loms|kernelnames|all_ethN|all_names|embedded_ethN_slots_names|smbios_names]

all_ethN does exactly what you want, embedded devices first, then all
other devices in ascending PCI slot order.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch