Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sun Nov 14 20:59:18 UTC 2010

Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 14:07 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Oops, that's not completely true: pvresize currently is not smart enough
> to move allocated data out of the area to be freed, according to its man
> page.  But you have other options, e.g., you can attach another disk,
> create a PV on it, move the data there, rearrange the first disk as
> desired, and move the data back, all while the system is running.
> That's what's so fun about LVM.

Even if pvresize doesn't move allocated data, you can do that
with pvmove, and you do not need to move everything out of the PV,
just the part you are going to truncate (PEs can be specified).
I don't remember if pvmove can use the same PV as src and dest;
in that case you could avoid the need of an extra disk
when your PV is just "fragmented".

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it