Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Sun Nov 14 21:07:28 UTC 2010

On 11/14/2010 11:07 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 10:38 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
>> On 11/13/2010 03:41 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I think LVM is jolly useful:
>> [stated advantages snipped]
>>
>> One design error is that you cannot "carve out" an ordinary partition
>> from an LVM.  Once a portion of the drive is LVM, then that portion of
>> the drive is LVM forever until the LVM is completely gone.
>
> That's not true.  You can shrink the PV with pvresize and then create
> any desired partitions in the resulting space.  Or did you mean
> something different?

When I created 14 partitions using a DOS partition label
(3 primaries, plus extended containing 10 logical partitions)
and gave 6 of the partitions to an LVM setup,
then I could not remove one of the partitions from the clutches
of the LVM, and use the removed partition for some other purpose
(keeping the rest of the LVM going), unless I removed all the LVM
from that drive.