Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Nov 14 22:42:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:38:37AM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 03:41 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I think LVM is jolly useful:
> [stated advantages snipped]
>
> One design error is that you cannot "carve out" an ordinary partition
> from an LVM.  Once a portion of the drive is LVM, then that portion of
> the drive is LVM forever until the LVM is completely gone.
> This makes LVM a bad neighbor in a consulting environment where
> flexibility is king: multiple systems per drive, and many of
> the systems do not understand LVM.

This is a problem of partitions themselves being very inflexible.
Have said that I don't really understand why you'd ever want to do
this.  "In a consulting environment" you're much more likely to
encounter some other mechanism for creating LUNs of the right size on
demand, ie. SANs.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v