Fedora 15, new and exciting plans (LVM issues)

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Sun Nov 14 23:00:55 UTC 2010

On 11/14/2010 01:13 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 13:07 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
>> When I created 14 partitions using a DOS partition label
>> (3 primaries, plus extended containing 10 logical partitions)
>> and gave 6 of the partitions to an LVM setup,
>> then I could not remove one of the partitions from the clutches
>> of the LVM, and use the removed partition for some other purpose
>> (keeping the rest of the LVM going), unless I removed all the LVM
>> from that drive.
>
> vgreduce + pvremove?  Did something go wrong when you tried?

vgreduce would not let go of the partition that I wanted to take back,
claiming that the partition was still in use.
-----
DESCRIPTION
       vgreduce allows you to remove one or more *unused* physical volumes
       from a volume group.  [emphasis added]
-----
I could not find a way to evict any usage of that partition (transparently
move the information somewhere else in the same LVM) as a prelude to applying
vgreduce.  In theory I could have moved all of the LVM onto another drive,
but I wanted to keep the LVM going on that drive, with the same user-visible
information content [there was enough free space], but without using one
particular partition that I had given [loaned] to LVM some time before.