Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 15 00:48:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 01:14:18AM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> We definitely should stop setting up LVM by default on Fedora, because
> it allows us to disable these unnecessary enumeration delays that are
> broken by design anyway.
>
> If we don't have LVM on default installs, we also don't need
> scsi_wait_scan anymore, and that would be great.

Wow.

LVM is important and useful for managing storage. If, in the future, we have
ZFS-like features in btrfs or whatever, okay, we can talk about getting rid
of it. But a few-second gain in boot time is really, really, really not
worth it. And yeah, I mean the desktop/laptop case, not just servers. (In
fact, with suspend/hibernate working so well these days, I think I reboot my
servers more often than my laptop.)

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>